Thursday, March 29, 2018

Counting Eggs and Graphing

Every year we spend a few weeks counting how many eggs we get every day. We figure out how many eggs we get from the chickens, and how much money we spend on food. It gives us a good idea of how much our eggs cost. I make a graph to see which color eggs we get the most of, too.

Here is my egg count for this week.

  • Friday, March 23 I collected 10 brown eggs, 9 green eggs, and 1 duck eggs
  • Saturday, March 24 I collected 6 brown eggs, 5 green eggs, and 1 duck eggs.
The guys moved hay on Saturday and they found a nest on the hay trailer. It was full of turkey eggs and they were already rotten. Yuck! Smelly eggs!
  • Sunday, March 25  I collected 7 brown eggs, 2 green eggs, and 1 duck egg.
  •  Monday, March 26 I collected 7 brown egg, 8 green eggs, and 1 duck eggs.
  • Tuesday, March 27 I collected 5 brown eggs, 6 green eggs, and 1 duck eggs.
  • Wednesday, March 28 I collected 7 brown eggs, 6 green eggs, and 1 duck eggs.
  • Thursday, March 29 I collected 7 brown eggs, 4 green eggs, and 1 duck eggs.

I collected 96 eggs this week. The chickens, ducks, and turkeys ate about 3/4 bag of food.
Food costs $17 for a bag, that means it cost us $12.75 to feed them.

96 eggs divided by 12 = 8 dozen eggs.

$12.75 divided by 8 dozen eggs = about $1.60 for each dozen eggs.

Other things that we spend money on to raise the chickens includes electricity to keep their water from freezing in the winter, shelter, clean bedding for their pen, and gas to drive the truck that picks up the food.

It's important for us to do some math to figure out how much the chickens cost us, and how much we should charge for eggs.

We spend less money on food in the summer because the chickens eat a lot of bugs in the summer and don't eat as much food. We spend more money on food in the winter because there aren't any bugs or grass to eat.

This is what my graph looks like this week:

I like looking at a graph to see how many eggs I've collected, and I can see how many of each color eggs I get.



Here's an interesting egg! One of our chickens laid an egg with no shell.




If you soak an egg in vinegar you can take the shell off the egg so it looks the same as Quin's egg.

See how squishy it is?

Your teacher has a whole bunch of eggs for you to look at! Have you seen a turkey egg before? Or a duck egg in real life?

Be careful! The eggs don't have anything inside them so they are very easy to break!

Do you have any questions for me? I love answering your questions!

Only one more week until River has her baby. I hope everything goes well for her. You'll see more about her babies when you come back. I hope you have a wonderful Spring Break! 

No comments: