Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Master Food Preserver Program

I just finished taking the Master Food Preserver Program through the USU Extension Service. Not only did I have a great time and meet some wonderful people, I learned alot!

Today we finished up with Strawberry Lemonade Concentrate, which Vet2Be has almost finished. Along with some Pickled Corn Relish. Along with a few other great recipes which I'm excited to try.

If I pass the test, my next responsibility will be to volunteer for 40 hours in our community teaching how to properly preserve food.

Hopefully I'll be posting some of the food projects here, how they turned out, and how much time it takes from fresh food to finished product.

I think I've over booked myself for this weekend. On the list of foods to preserve: 2 flats of strawberries, 21 pounds of pineapple, and 28 lbs of asparagus.

My married daughters and I started participating in Bountiful Baskets, and they had strawberries, pineapple, and asparagus available.

The plan:
Some of the strawberries will be dehydrated, some will be made into jam
Some of the pineapple will be dehydrated (Son1 said he would help) and some will be canned.
Some of the asparagus will be canned, and some will be frozen.

I ordered a Pineapple Corer Slicer Peeler Cutter because a few of the women in our class have it and love it! Hopefully it will be here by Friday.

I also ordered and already received a Progressive International Canning Scoop. I love it! I canned some ground beef last week and the shape of the scoop made it so easy to get into the corners of the pot. It holds 1/2 pint, which is so much nicer than a regular ladle, it has a hook so it sits on the edge of the pot, and the shape of the handle is comfortable to use.


I also have been using my new embroidery machine like a crazy woman, but I'll post some of those projects later.

I've also had alot of chances to babysit my grandson, which has been so much fun!

I haven't planted the garden yet, so many things are keeping me busy that I haven't blogged for months! Hopefully the garden will get some seeds next week.

No comments: