Friday, March 11, 2022

Yay for Snow!

 

Yay for snow!!

Lots of snow!!



Some people are tired of winter, and very tired of snow. I'm not! Every flake of snow is a drop of water and we really need the water in our area.

We need water to grow crops for people, and hay for animals. If we don't have enough water in the winter, we may not be able to grow enough food during the summer.

It's rough on people and animals if there isn't enough food.

So when you see the snow covering the mountain tops, and snow in the fields you can be happy, too!

*     *     *     *     *

Last week I promised to tell you about a project that I thought was going to be a BIG project, but it turned out to be less work than I thought.

These are our grape vines.
I've never taken good care of them.

My friend said that it's hard to kill grape vines. She also said we'll get more grapes if I trim them.

I was secretly hoping that there might be a 'grape vine-trimming fairy' just like there is a tooth fairy.

There isn't.

I was going to have to do the work.

I set my timer for 90 minutes and decided to get as much done as I could in that amount of time.

Grape vines all trimmed and ready for spring!

I was so surprised! I finished in 60 minutes!

That's a big pile of grape vine trimmings!

Next time I have a big job to do, one that I think will be too hard or take too much time, I think I'll jump in and give it a try. I won't worry about it, I'll just do what I can do!

*     *     *     *     *

Do you remember the chicken that got it's foot stuck under the fence? I had her tucked away in a warm dog crate so she could heal.

I thought it would take 3 or 4 weeks for her to get better.

I checked on her every day. 


She's so much better! She can walk around without much trouble. Her head wound is healed, but she still needs to grow feathers in the bald spot.

*     *     *     *     *

It takes 21 days for chicken eggs to hatch.
That's the same as 3 weeks.

It takes 28 days for turkey eggs to hatch.
That's the same as 4 weeks.

It takes about 28 days to hatch duck eggs, too.
When I first saw these hidden eggs, there was a duck sitting on them.

Do you see her tucked way in the back?

She didn't stay, and she wasn't sitting on the eggs the next day. I was hoping she had made herself a nest, and would hatch out some baby ducks.

I'll keep searching and hoping that the chickens, ducks, and turkeys find a nice hiding spot to sit on their eggs and hatch them out. It's always fun to have baby chicks on the farm! 

It's even more fun when the mama hatches them out and takes care of them.

Have a great week!







No comments: