Friday, March 20, 2020

New Goat Kids

We're a little behind on posting. It's been a weird week with Covid-19, then an earthquake in our state. 

One of the nice things about having a little farm is that the work doesn't end, and it doesn't change much. I have the same chores almost every day. 

Right now that brings a lot of peace and purpose into my life. I am out doing the regular things at least 3 hours a day.

There are so many families that have been thrown into working and schooling from home. It can seem overwhelming! I'm so sorry! My heart goes out to all of you!


Morning snow on the farm.
20 March 2020


A few weeks ago these awesome boys came to help clean the stall so that River could have her kids.

It was more work than they expected.
It was cold.

Shoveling is hard work.
They were so cheerful while they were helping. I really appreciated that! This was so hard for them! This was not fun! The older boy was really so sweet and cheerful. He knew that what he was doing was just what I needed.

You are probably doing school work at home. I bet that is hard, too.

Did you know that if you try to do it cheerfully, it will probably be easier to do?


The photo isn't very good.
It's Mia!
She was up and running around when I got out to the barn
to check on River Saturday evening.


This is Tia.
She had a rough time and didn't get up right away.

I always rub the kids as dry as I can with old towels. I put sweaters on them, too. That wasn't good enough to warm up Tia.

She was so cold that I had to warm her up with a blow dryer for 2 hours.




Animals that have hooves are born with a coating on their hooves
to protect their mama when they are being born.
It's called an eponychium
That's a really long word that means "soft covering on the outside of a newborn's hooves."

Tia started to warm up. Her sister Mia came over to see how she was doing.


Tia tried to stand up, but she really had a hard time.


She didn't really walk much until the next morning.

She's fine now!


Both the kids are drinking bottles well!
I like to bottle feed when I can because that makes the babies so friendly. They follow me around everywhere!

I hope you have a good week. Really, I do! I hope that you can find things that you like to do with your family.

I think you can be cheerful even when you are doing things that you don't enjoy. Try it! It really does make things easier and faster to do!

If you have questions about the farm, please put them in the comments. I'll answer them! 




4 comments:

The Lowe Down said...

What a wonderful life. Thank you for the videos. My daughter enjoyed seeing the new kids.

TJ said...

Thanks so much for stopping by the blog!

Janelle said...

Does the farm keep warm for the animals? -Hinalei

TJ said...

Hi Hinalei,
That's a great question!
We keep a heat lamp in the stall for the baby goats. I keep the mama goat and the babies in the stall for about 5 days. They stay warm with a sweater on and under a heat lamp.

They also have a little dog house inside the stall. They usually start sleeping in the dog house when they are 2-3 days old.

I'll post pictures next week so you can see!

The other animals all have winter coats. As long as they have a place to get out of the wind, rain, and snow, and they have enough food and water, they stay very warm!