Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Feeding the Yeast

I had to feed the natural yeast I got last week. It seemed to do really well. I haven't done anything with it yet... except feed it.

This is what my natural yeast looked like after growing for three days.  It smells really good, kinda sweet with only a very slight hint of sourdough smell.

Time to feed it! Add lukewarm water and stir. I added about 1/2 cup of water.

I added the same amount of fresh ground whole wheat flour. Fresh ground only because I didn't have any from the last batch of wheat I ground.

This is about the same thickness as the first batch that Mr. Warnock  mixed up for me. The jar is still a little less than half full of yeast.... or yeast mixture..... or whatever you call it.

This is about 1 hour after I fed the yeast. It has increased in bulk by a little less than half. It's bubbly and looks just like it's supposed to, as far as I can tell.

So far the yeast seems to be alive and well and growing. My first recipe will be pancakes since that seems the easiest to start with.

I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: