Thursday, May 3, 2012

Chickens in the Backyard

I looked out the back door and noticed all the chickens had decided to come through the gate (which was open so the dogs could run around).

They often come when I call, which I think is a good thing.
Here's our rooster. He's a cross between a Bantam Silkie and a Rhode Island Red. He's about the size of a large hen.
I decided to give them a little treat.
The next day they rewarded me by coming in the backyard again, at the same time..... but when I didn't give them a treat they promptly ate 2 broccoli plants down to the stems.

Time to keep them out of the backyard.

If you are thinking about raising chickens we've found this link helpful:
My Pet Chicken

And we've really enjoyed having the book, Chickens in Your Backyard, A Beginner's Guide by Rick Luttmann and Gail Luttmann. You can find it new on Amazon or used at Alibris.

About half of them have their wings clipped to keep them from roosting (and poo-ing)in the barn. And we usually have to make sure there is a fence around the garden to keep them from eating the vegies.

Other than that, they are low maintenance pets that eat all our pulled weeds, give us yummy eggs, and leave us rich manure for the garden.



2 comments:

Tonia said...

I have been trying to keep my chickens contained lately due to the garden.. I still have some escaping... Stinkers...

TJ said...

Last year we ended up putting ugly orange construction fencing around the garden. People driving by were probably horrified! But it kept the garden save from the chickens and it was cheap!