Friday, April 6, 2012

Soda Bottle Planter Update

I really like the way these planters are working. I think next year we'll use them again, but I'll put an "X" shaped divider into the planter before I plant the seeds. That way we can separate the plants before we plant in the garden.

I love these soda bottle sub-irrigation planters because they fit on my window sill where a regular seed tray won't fit.

And I don't have to worry about watering very often, which has always been a problem for me when I'm starting plants indoors. I only water about once a week, which is wonderful considering the kitchen is still under construction.... after 9 weeks.

Tomatoes are starting to get their 'real' leaves. And the celery that I replanted from a leftover 'stump' is still growing, too!
I was so excited to see the roots through the clear plastic! I'm not sure we can divide the plants because the roots seem to be doing so well, but we'll give it a try.
I really, really like the way these fit on the window sill, and that I don't have to worry about watering them every day!
Here's the first and second post on our soda bottle planters.

Absolutely doing this to start plants again next year!

And I might try growing lettuce and spinach indoors this way through the winter.

2 comments:

darius said...

I've been using those since I read your first post about them. I love using them, they are SO convenient and easy to make. I've even transplanted rooted elderberry cuttings into a few until they are ready to go in the garden.

TJ said...

That's great to hear! My daughter sent me a blueberry plant for my birthday. I've got it in one of these because I know how much water they need! I'm planning on using the 5 gal. bucket sub-irrigation planter system when it's big enough to transplant and go outside. Desert and Blueberry plants do NOT go together naturally!