Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Paper Bag Mulching

We saved most of the Purina Feed bags over the winter so we could use them as mulch this summer. I like paper bag mulching over the landscape fabric because neither one lasts forever, and paper bags are much easier to till in when we are ready for another layer of weed blocker.

About 9 feed bags cut open and laid on top of the weeds. Hubby cut the weeds, but we didn't till or use weed killer on them. The bags are about 3 grocery bags thick, they shouldn't have any trouble killing the weeds.

Covered with 9 bags of mulch. Ten bags would have been a little better. It was more mulch than Hubby thought we would need, but it should keep the weeds down for 3-5 years as well as reduce the water we need on the nectarine trees.
I still need to sweep the basketball court off, but every day we get a little closer to getting the yard all cleaned up and ready for summer.

Oh, wait... summer's here. Sheesh! Well, we'll keep working at it and one year our yard will be beautiful!

3 comments:

Tonia said...

The feed bags work very well for a weed barrier! I have been using them for a couple of years and this year I didnt put them down in some areas I am wishing I did now!Lol But when everthing is done I will till it under and lay bags out and over the winter cover with bedding from the barn for next year.

TJ said...

I love them especially because we can till them under in a few years. I hate pulling up the manufactured weed barrier and replacing it!

Mulching Machine said...

Beautiful post about paper mulching machine.Thanks for sharing with us.