Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Udder Results

The veterinarian emailed with the results of the biopsy test.

The results are in and they show a severe chronic response that is suggestive of a topical irritant. The inflammation in the skin layers is very superficial and not typically treated with steroids. So I would rather not give steroids at this time. If she is still doing well and has still shown response to Exenel, then I wouldn't do any other medications right now.
The cause of this was probably a skin reaction to something that was applied to the udder. It was probably something normal that this animal had an abnormal reaction to. I would apply nothing to the udder for the time being. And then we can talk before you want to start milking again.
Let me know if she is still doing well or if you have any other questions.
Our vet is doing some Army training (he's a U.S. Army Veterinarian, too) and he was kind enough to take a few minutes to email. What a great vet!

We haven't stopped milking her. We were giving her milk to the chickens. But now we know there is nothing wrong with the milk, so we are back to using it again!

At this point more of the scabs are healing, turning a light brownish color, and some are falling off. I'm not sure how long it will take for them all to heal, but we are all so happy that there is nothing major wrong with the doe. It will probably just take time to heal.

So this poor girl has endured a 15 month long allergic reaction. No wonder nothing we used helped! She is such a sweet, mild tempered, and patient doe!

3 comments:

Linda said...

That is super to know and I am very glad it wasn't what I thought. Did you figure out what the irritant was?

TJ said...

Not yet. Probably the udder wash. That's what the vet thinks. We used the Fiasco Farm (bleach based) recipe. Then we switched to a milder chlorine dioxide based recipe. Then we were using chlorhexidine (Hibiclens). She had the reaction using all of those.

So now we are using plain, warm water and hoping that her udder will clear up soon. Once she is clear of all signs of allergic reaction we'll slowly try some other disinfecting udder washes to see if anything causes a reaction.

I wish we could give her some Benadryl or something and hurry it along!!

Linda said...

I tried the Fias Co farm bleach and water. I didn't like it at all! I use white vinegar and water now. Works great! Vinegar has some serious disinfecting qualities. It kills a number of germs and bacteria including e-coli and salmonella.