Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A Doll Bed for My Niece

My niece has an American Girl Doll and she showed it to me when I was visiting in July. I'm not very good at sending birthday gifts, but if I find something that I think a niece or nephew will like, then I try to send it to them.

I found a doll bed at a local church's yard sale a few months ago. I bought it because I remember my niece's doll slept in a cardboard box. I promised her that if I found a bed at a yard sale, then I would send it to her. I could afford this little gift and I knew that I had enough material at home to make a mattress, pillow, and blanket to go with the bed.

The bed needed a few repairs, tightening the ropes, re-staining the scratches, and gluing some of the joints. It still looks used, but I think my niece will like it anyway.

Here it is all done and ready to ship. I just need to find a box that it will fit in.




I used Red Heart Light and Lofty for the doll afghan. I don't like this yarn as well as I like the Lion Brand Homespun. The Lion Brand has fewer fluffies sticking out and is easier to knit.




A few years ago I made my mother a quilt out of Civil War reproduction fabrics. She loved it. I made the mattress out of the same fabric that I used in part of my mother's quilt. I gave my sister (my niece's mother) the quilt since my mother passed away. I hope it brings her lots of comfort. And I hope that my niece likes her gift.

1 comment:

Grandma Elsie said...

TJ,
That is beautiful! What did you use for the mattress? I like light and lofty because it doesn't hurt my hands like Lion Brands Homespun does. It is so heavy I guess. I knit my granddaughter a sweater out of it once and they stayed sore for a week after I finished.
Thank you for your kind comments on my post.
I am thankful life gives me things to do to pass the time .
have a blessed day.
Elsie <><