Friday, April 27, 2012

Another Corned Beef Experiment

Sheepy had some extra beef that she was willing to share. Meatloaf (Sheepy's bull) got a lot too playful with the cows. So he turned into.... something to eat. If you can't keep your horns where they belong, you're gonna end up with lead poisoning.

I recently bought a book (what else is new!)
A Guide to Canning, Freezing, Curing & Smoking Meat, Fish & Game by Wilbur F. Eastman Jr.

In our defense of buying books, we've always taught our kids that reading is like magic! If you can read, you can learn almost anything you want to learn. After being married for 30+ years we have books and bookshelves in every room in the house except some of the bathrooms.

This book looked like a great reference book so I decided to add it to our collection.

It happened to have a recipe for Corned Beef. (It really has 2 recipes, this one cures in the fridge). This recipe was much easier than the one that Sheepy sent me. (Here's my first and second posts about my first corned beef).

This recipe used salt, brown sugar, bay leaves, pepper corns, allspice, and cloves. Much easier than the last recipe!

All ready to put in the fridge. I hope "Meatloaf" tastes good!

It's been such a long month so far that I wrote "Ready 10 April". It should read "Ready 10 May"!

"Meatloaf" will sit in the brine for two weeks, instead of a week like the first corned beef. I have to shake it around and flip the meat every day or two to make sure that all the meat gets covered with brine.

Thanks for sharing, Sheepy! I'll let you know how it tastes.

No comments: