Thursday, September 22, 2011

Bottling Chicken

Yesterday I bottled chicken. I still have lots and lots to bottle. One of the local grocery stores had a great price on it and I wanted to stock up on pre-cooked chicken.

Canning meat is one of the easiest things to do, as long as you have a pressure cooker.

Here are the instructions from the Ball Blue Book

Raw pack chicken:
Pack meat into hot jars leaving 1" headspace.
If you wash the jars in the dishwasher and then leave them in there until you are ready to process the chicken.

Ladle hot water or broth over meat, leaving 1" headspace. Remove air bubbles.

Place lids and rings on jars.

Process pints for 1 hour 15 minutes (I process for 1 hour 25 minutes because of our altitude).

1 pound of chicken fits in a pint jar
That's it! Pretty simple.

Then I always have cooked chicken on hand for chicken enchiladas, chicken soup, or any recipe I might need shredded chicken for.

Here's a link for 40 different recipes using shredded chicken (I haven't tried them all--but they look delicious!)

4 comments:

AAW said...

Have you looked into using the Tattler lids for your canning? We picked some up a few months ago and think they are fantastic - and after about 8 uses, they've paid for themselves.

Do a search on "tattler canning lids" if you want some more info.

AAW in So.Dak.

TJ said...

Yes! I've used them. I used them for my pepper jelly. I only bought one box because I wanted to try them out before I committed to them. I've heard some people have had a harder time getting them to seal. I am trying them on some 'cheap' bottling before I commit to using them for things like meat that cost alot more.

Monday's Child said...

Hi, first time visitor here, getting caught up. I love your blog so far and can't wait to get up to date.
I don't know why I never thought of canning cooked chicken, but that's such a great idea! Especially since there are only two of us here and we want small portions more often than a whole chicken to deal with. Thanks for posting this. I can't wait to try it next time I roast chicken(s).

TJ said...

Glad to help! I also bottle pork and beef when it's on sale. My college kids love that they can grab a bottle of meat and make something quick and easy. I love it that they are eating something more healthy than raman noodles or mac and cheese from a box :)