Monday, August 8, 2011

Time for Apple Cider Vinegar

It's that time of year again, the time we start thinking about breeding.

We won't breed until October, but it is time to add apple cider vinegar to the goats' water (both bucks and does).

Why?

Because every year we are diligent about putting apple cider vinegar in their water we end up with more doelings than bucklings.

Before we started using vinegar we would get 6-7 bucklings a year, and we would be lucky to get one doeling! If we use apple cider vinegar we end up with a 50-50 split or more doelings than bucklings--all three years we've tried it, it's worked.

Vet2Be's 4-H leader uses the trick, too. And she said it works the same for her--ACV in the water = more doelings than bucklings.

We add about 1/2 cup to a 20 gallon bucket and about a tablespoon in a 5 gallon bucket. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. Vet2Be estimates the amount, he doesn't use a measuring cup.

If this is a new thing for the goats, try adding just a little bit to the water until they get used to it, then a little more every few days until you get up to the amount you want to add.

Here's an article that might be helpful to read:
Apple Cider Vinegar for Goats

The unproven theory is that female sperm swim faster in a slightly acidic environment so they 'out run' the male sperm. As far as I know it is all anecdotal evidence!

But I know it works for us, so we'll be doing it again this year, and now is the time to start!

No, it doesn't affect the flavor of the milk... just in case you were wondering!

Here's a link for Linda's Lunacy Sunny Saturday! I hope you go visit her blog/site, lots of fun stuff over there :)


Sunny Saturday at LInda's Lunacy

3 comments:

Marie said...

I feed ACV to all my sheep and goats in the summer. It seems to help with the heat. I will try and continue to use it year round since it also is suppose to help with kid/lamb presentation at the time of birth. More doelings and ewes would be an added bonus!!

Tonia said...

I have had serious buck years the last 2 years... LAst year ALL BOYS.. Year before 4 does and 12 bucks.. THis year I wasnt able to add ACV because Moses let himself in the pen with the girls! I am hoping that its not a buck year but I am not to hopeful!Lol.. I believe it works some how. But I always heard that the male sperm die out quicker in a more acidic enviroment. Lol Who knows but I do believe it works! The ACV does help in the heat and when I make up my own electrolytes its got ACV, Molasses, Baking Soda and Salt in it. Works better than the store bought stuff or gatoraide.

Linda @ Linda's Lunacy said...

I've never heard of this before. We usually get more bucks than does. I'm definitely going to be trying this.

Thanks for the info!
I'd love it if you'd stop by on Saturday and add this post to my Saturday on the Farm linky. :)

Linda @ Linda's Lunacy
lindaslunacy.com