Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Pillowcase

My 11 year old niece has been here for a little more than a week. She goes home Saturday. She got to show a few goats at the open show in U. County at the fair.

She's been having a great time learning about the animals and all the stuff we do on a hobby farm (which doesn't often include TV).

Yesterday I took her to Wal*Mart to buy some fabric so she could sew a pillow case. Wal*Mart has inexpensive fabric and a limited selection, both good things when someone is just starting to sew.

She picked her out her own fabric. She chose purple and black because those are her room colors.

No, I didn't help her pick the colors at all! I just made sure she picked fabric that would be good to sleep on.

Here is the video my friend showed me:
Missouri Quilt Company Pillowcase Tutorial



Here are two photos of her finished project. She did a great job!

The pillowcase turned out just a bit big for the pillow, but since it is cotton it will probably shrink a bit.

Here is a photo of the end,
She really did do most of the cutting and sewing. I serged the inside so the fabric wouldn't fray (she saw the serger cut and sew the fabric and that was a bit worrisome for her). And I made two other cuts because the cut was so long.

She was very happy with the way it turned out. I think she did a great job on her first real project.

Here is a link for the free pillowcase patterns that are offered by All People Quilt for the Million Pillowcase Challenge.

No comments: