Wednesday, April 13, 2011

New Knitting Machine Weights

I found a link somewhere that I've lost that showed some weights for knitting machines made out of forks!

What a great idea! I love the fact that there are no hinges on them! I make socks and mittens on the knitting machine and often have to put a weight on the back of the knitting. It's pretty tricky when the weight has a hinge on it.

These do the trick! And since I already had a few old forks laying around, all I needed was a few rolls of pennies and some tape. Hubby bent the forks (they were a bit harder to bend in the shop than when they go in the dishwasher--go figure!) I used some cloth athletic tape because we have quite a few rolls of that (and I couldn't find where Hubby left the duct tape, either). I also taped both ends of the pennies before I taped the roll to the fork.


Another style I saw bend the tines of the forks towards the back of the handle. I'm not sure if that would make any difference or not. I like having the pennies where they are (under the bent part of the tines) because I think the weight is more centered.

To buy new weights would cost over $5.00 each. These cost me 50 cents and a few old forks :) They weigh in at about 4.5 ounces--just right for what I need!

No comments: