Saturday, January 2, 2010

Oregon Trail Quilt: Whirwind

Another month whizzed right by! I sewed these blocks this morning before class (and before we went out to milk) because I just didn't get to them over the holiday. I really like getting the next month's block kit free, so it is worth the time and effort to get the blocks done in time for class.

 My completed blocks for the month.
It took about 1 1/2 hours to sew all four.

You should be able to click on the image above and then right-click and save as to your computer.

 Instructions we received.

This block is known by a few names: Whirwind, Twin Sisters, Pinwheel, Waterwheel and Windmill.

Quilter's Cache has some good directions, but you can't use their sizes because the block will turn out to be a 12" square--too big for the quilt I am making. Use the sizes listed on the instructions above, but use the step-by-step directions provided at Quilter's Cache.

I also played a bit with a 6 1/2" Square in a Square for the setting blocks. I paper pieced it, but I was talking on the phone while I was piecing it so I didn't get all the pieces the right size. Oh well! I took good notes and I'll make a few more for next month to see how I like them.





You can see that this block didn't turn out exactly 6 1/2" square. I decided to use a light and two mediums for the setting blocks so they don't take away from the main blocks in the quilt.



Here are the instructions I drew up for the setting square.

Here are some good directions for paper piecing from Quilter's Cache. Yes, they have an amazing amount of resources on their site!

Here is a great video on paper piecing, too.

No comments: