Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Blue Plates

Hubby bought me some wonderful LED lights to go on the mantle by the wood stove. They are just beautiful and look like a lovely beaded necklace.
 
See how much the strand of lights look like a necklace? I think it looks wonderful even when the lights are not on!

Above the wood stove I have blue plates hanging from the bricks. A number of years ago I decided that I wanted something to brighten up the brick corner, but I needed something that would be easy to clean as well as something that wouldn't mind the heat. My Aunt sent me a number of Mors Dag plates before she moved into an assisted living facility and I thought that would be a great start for brightening up the bricks!


You can see the lights around the mantle. The photo doesn't do them justice, they are lovely when they are lit in 'real life'.



The left side of the corner.

Over the years I have collected quite a few plates. Some came from Ebay, some from yard sales, some from the thrift store, some from places we have visited, some from friends who have seen my collection. I also received a few bowls to put on the mantle as well. I don't think that anything in the collection is worth very much money, but they are treasures to me because they bring back memories of who I was with when I got them, or who gave them to me.


The coziest spot in the house! Two comfortable chairs and some pillows covered in old wool baby blankets (one of which belonged to my Uncle who has passed away). Blue plates above the stove, some wonderful antique samplers above the television, and hundreds of books just begging to be read again and again.

When the fire is going we love to sit here and read or watch an old movie. Sometimes Vet2Be sleeps in front of the fire on a cold night. Sometimes I will sit here and knit.

It is a snugly, comfy place that makes one feel as if the world has stopped and bestowed a moment of peace. Isn't that what a home should be like? A place of peace and rest, a place where you are always welcome, a place where you always feel as if you belong, and place where you know you are loved.

Sounds like Heaven to me.

2 comments:

Grandma Elsie said...

I would love to be able to come and bring my knitting ,well its crocheting right now, and set a spell with you by the warm and glowing fire.
Yes it sounds a little like heaven to me too . Peace peace wonderful peace

TJ said...

So glad to hear from you! I was worried a bit because you have sounded a little sad lately.

Yes, I would love to have you sit with us, too!