Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Weeding....

I am still way behind on weeding! Some days I wonder if I will be caught up by Christmas or not. If you are behind on your weeding, these photos should make you feel a bit better. I don't know anyone whose flower beds look as bad as this one does.

I've always got excuses... death in the family, homeschooling, church responsibilities, practicing guitar or piano, going to the doctor ... there is always something that gets in the way. And I am usually happy to let stuff get in the way since I don't enjoy weeding that much.

It took me about 40 minutes to clear the area that is just dirt. You can see behind it how much more weeding there is to do.

Here is a picture of the whole flower bed. There are many days that I would love to just spray Round-Up on the whole thing and then turn it into a parking area. We need the parking area anyway--but we don't have the cash for it right now, so it will stay a flower bed for another year.


Here is the same bed from the road. There are some few beautiful plants in there, if you can see them among the weeds; Peonies, Sea Heather, Lavender, Iris, Day Lillies, a small climbing rose on the fence, and a few others that I don't know the names of. This side of the flower bed looks better than the other side because one of the neighbors across the street has to look at it. If I make myself weed, this is usually where I start.

I'm sure I'll be out there again tomorrow. Hubby is on a business trip for two weeks, maybe I'll find time to get this bed cleaned out and mulched before he gets back. It's a good thing that he doesn't care about stuff like weeding flower beds (or cleaning house), because then I don't feel like such a failure!

I think the flower beds all look best when they are covered in snow!

2 comments:

Grandma Elsie said...

Do you get snow in the desert ? Don't you live in the desert ?
i think the flower bed looks good. course i can't see what isn't suppose to be there anyway.. it all looks like some kind of greenery . LOl
enjoy the sun shine .

TJ said...

Oh, yes! We get lots of snow in the winter. The nice thing about living here is that, although we get lots of snow, it usually doesn't stay on the ground for very long. The sun comes out and melts every bit!

The mountains get many feet each year, which the skiers love, and the run-off is what we use for water during the growing season.